Monday, February 20, 2012

The Duped Project 8/50: Stovetop Mac 'n Cheese



We woke up on President's Day with a sick little girl. One of my daughters got the other one sick, as always, and she had a fever and a serious case of the whinies. Very understandable. I decided to use one of my favorite recipes for some comfort food. Mac 'n Cheese time!

When I first found this recipe (or I should say, when my friend Nicole first found it and shared it - thanks bud!), I was pretty astonished to read that it was important to use freshly shredded cheese. Why? Because when you buy pre-shredded cheese in a bag, you aren't just getting cheese. You're getting an anti-caking agent, most commonly cellulose-based, that makes your cheese less likely to mold and keeps it from clumping together. How pretty. On the down side, it's more expensive to produce and harder to melt. Also, existing anti-clumping agents are hazardous to worker's health, and sometimes, these additives can contain gluten and other allergens (Source).

I'm a purist when I can be. The way I see it, a cheddar by any other name tastes just as scrumptious, and it takes a whopping 60 seconds to shred, so I've stopped buying the bagged stuff all together. It melts better, is cheaper, and gives you more options on how to use it. Another plus: I use less. How many times have you come across a recipe where the amount of cheese required just happens to be 2 cups - the standard amount in a bag of shredded cheese? I've found that you usually don't need nearly that much. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total cheese-a-holic, but it certainly is one thing that could use a reduction in my diet. So if I can cut down the cheese by an ounce or two in a recipe, that's gonna make a big difference in the saturated fat in my finished meal.

There's another side to this story. It's a story of love, loss and loving again. It's a story of my love affair with Velveeta. Sound silly? I don't think you know how seriously I take my mac 'n cheese, folks. And for many a year, me and the orange box were close and personal. Do you know what the industry calls Velveeta, in an attempt to make it sound edible without lying? Processed cheese food. Heave. I have many guilty pleasures, but I was looking for a way out of this relationship, fast. Then along came this recipe.

Quick, easy, and filled with real food, this stovetop mac and cheese hits the spot without baking. From start to finish, it takes me about 25 minutes, including boiling the water. Find the recipe after the jump.



Stove-top Mac & Cheese (my super easy version)

Yield: 4  servings (as a side) or 2-3 servings (as a main dish)

8oz macaroni - or any smallish tube shaped pasta
1 tablespoon butter
5-6 oz evaporated milk (I use 5 because that's what's in one small can)*
6 oz freshly grated cheese of your choice
1 egg, beaten
Cayenne pepper, salt & pepper to taste

*Be sure to get evaporated milk, not condensed, or you will have some super sweet cheesy mac.




Cook the pasta according the packaging. I used penne because it's what I had on hand. Drain, return to pot, and add your butter while hot to melt. Butter, not margarine. Remember, we're after real food here.



Add the milk, egg, and spices. I whisk mine all together beforehand then add to the pasta. Cook over medium-low until thick...



...Like so. About 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.



Add the cheese in 3 or 4 increments, making sure each batch has thoroughly melted before you add the next.



And you're finished! Yes, I realize the irony of a cheesy dish in front of a vegan cookbook. What can I say? I'm weak.



My last step: Serve to sick little one with grapes and a hug.


What I learned:

  • Pre-shredded cheese contains anti-clumping agents that drive up cost, can contain unexpected allergens, and make its production hazardous to workers.
  • Velveeta sounds a lot better than "processed cheese food"
  • Penne makes an excellent sub for macaroni

1 comment:

  1. I dont buy it pre-shredded anymore either, but mainly because WIC wont cover that, lol. Whatever the reason, i am a convert. this just cements it more. :)

    ReplyDelete