Monday, February 20, 2012

The Duped Project 7/50: Party Decorations



Lots of coordination, lots of cash

When my oldest turned two, I did the Party Superstore thing. I went to the warehouse-style, we've-got-it-all store and spent nearly $60 to get cake-toppers, balloons, streamers, plastic ware, banners and table toppers in her theme. Honestly, it just wasn't worth it. The guests probably noticed, thought "Oh cute," then moved on. All my coordinating colors were not worth all that cash, cute as they were.

More importantly, I was really disappointed in the store itself. Yes, the prices and selection were better than just about anywhere else, but that's to be expected of a nation-wide party decoration chain. But the service -- oh, the service.

Me: If I pick up the balloons the day before, will they stay inflated for, say, 24 hours?
Party Store Employee: Oh yeah. no problem.

12 hours later

In their defense, they replace the balloons for free, but only after I called 3 times and demanded to speak to a manager, and after that manager broke policy to help me. Also, when I went to pick them up, they were not ready (though I called ahead) and the staff was giving me the "Oh, you're the b*tch" look. Lovely. I was definitely duped. 

Then I realized: I am a graphic designer. What am I doing? I can do this jazz myself. Shoot, I could do this if I wasn't a designer. All it takes is a little ingenuity. After all, what's more impressive: spending money on coordinated, copyrighted characters on paperboard-and-staples centerpieces OR doing it all yourself? Oh, I think you know.

When I decided to throw a baby shower for a couple friends who are expecting, I did all the decorations myself, and I decided to share all those decorations with you, in photos and files that you can print out for your own baby shower. You only have to pay what I did. Nothing.

For photos, ideas, and free printable cupcake toppers and banner pieces, read on!


I printed my ducky motif small and large, and in two color schemes. The small prints were mounted on colored printer paper and cut out using scrapbooking scissors for a decorative edge. I mounted them on cheapo-plastic straws and stuck them in some super simple cupcakes.


My large duckies can be strung together for a banner, but I had a different plan for my banner, so I used them as extra decorations around the room. A couple clothespins (available for a few dollars at your supermarket) made them stand on their own.



Here's the banner! The ducks were hand drawn on colored printer paper, then mounted on thicker drawing paper and cut out with the scrapbooking scissors. The letters were printed onto the colored paper and cut out with an exacto knife. I used pinking shears to cut up an old baby blanket, rather than buying ribbon to string my ducks together. I made some old-school paper chains with the scrapbooking scissors and a stapler to add more color.



Close up of the banner



Here's the decoration and cupcakes together, so that you can see both color schemes


The grand total of money spent on these decoration was $0.00. Given, I had a lot of the supplies on hand, but you probably do too (or some awesome and creative substitute, you genius you). 

Want 'em? Take em! As always, don't use these designs to make money or sell them, but aside from that, they are available for your personal use absolutely free. Download and enjoy! Troubleshooting at farbeyonddesigns@gmail.com


Small Size Duckies (cupcake toppers - 6 per page)
Large Size Duckies (banner or other decor - 4 per page)

No comments:

Post a Comment