Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Duped Project 4/50: Spice Mixes



One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen, besides avoid the dishes, is experiment with familiar flavors. For example, I love greek food. So what makes greek food taste greek? What makes Mexican food taste different from Cuban food? Why does an italian tomato sauce taste so different from a tomato? SPICES! (Um, duh).

Of course, the easiest way to get that taste is to buy the "spice blend" at the supermarket. Italian blend - basil, oregano, marjoram, all perfectly proportioned. Or Ms. D's classic Garlic and Herb, which makes just about everything taste fantastic. As a general rule, these spice blends are not that much more expensive than buying the individual spices. In fact, if you use them sparsely, you might even save a few pennies and avoid waste. So why make your own?

1. Knowledge. I know that most people don't care, but I love to know that thyme is that taste on those potatoes I love, and that rosemary is not my favorite even in a blend. I also love knowing that cumin is just as important in Mexican flavors as cilantro or chili powder. Geekery, perhaps, but knowledge is power. And when I want to make my quiche into Santa Fe quiche...too easy.

2. Dietary Restrictions. There are a growing number of spice blends on the shelf with low or no salt in the mix, but take it from someone who's always looking for them - they aren't consistently there. Maybe you've got someone in your family (or coming over for dinner) who is gluten intolerant. There could very well be wheat flour in that taco seasoning. When you've put it together, you know.

3. Monosodium Glucamate. MSG is a real deal breaker for a lot of people, and just like the low sodium seeker, you may find a blend without any MSG. Then again, you may not. FDA requires that any food containing MSG list it on the label, but chances are that the pesto blend that's MSG-Free and Low-Sodium are not the same packet. For more info on MSG and what's so bad about it: Mayo Clinic Article

So I'm on quest to make my own! Good thing I've been saving small glass jars for a while. More, after the jump.


Cajun Spice

Click me! I'll get bigger!

I also added 5 parts salt to mine, which would still qualify as low sodium compared with most mixes. You can leave this out and salt to taste, if you prefer.

You can use any measurement, as long as you're consistent. If you only want a little, I would suggest 1/4 tsp or less. I did 1 tsp for each "part," and it made about 8 oz (see picture below). Here's the recipe, typed out (for your cutting and copying pleasure):

My finished Cajun Spice mix.
1 tsp = 1 part, in a 16oz jar
Cajun Spice Mix:

Salt, 5 parts (optional)
Cayenne Pepper, 5 parts
Black Pepper, 3 parts
Onion Powder, 3 parts
Garlic Powder, 3 parts
Chili Powder, 3 parts
Dried Basil, 1 part
Dried Thyme, 1 part
Bay Leaves, 1 part
(Original recipe)

I used this on a butternut squash chutney over brown rice. I thought it was a great blend - Spicy but still with flavor. You could experiment - I saw other versions with more or different dried herbs, more or less cayenne or chili powder, add crushed red pepper for more spice, etc.

Mixin! Oh, purdy.

What else needs replacing in my spice rack? The next time I make these dishes, I'm mixing up the spices myself, and storing them in bulk. As I try each one, I'll try to updated this posting. 



Things I learned:
  • Though some spice blends (like salt-free italian) are rather purist, many of them are packed with sugar or corn syrup, preservatives and MSG. This is especially true of those that come in paper packets.
  • When you make your own spice blend, it's best to use a glass screw top container and store at room temp
  • Incidentally - did you know Jerk Seasoning derives it's unique flavor from the Scotch Bonnet Pepper, allegedly up to 15 times hotter than a jalapeno? Yowsers.

1 comment:

  1. I don't put garlic powder in my spice blends. Garlic powder goes rancid and often sooner than you would expect. I just add garlic powder separately. If I'm making a rub or something that I will use right away, I'll go ahead and add the garlic powder. Chili powder is one that can go bad because of rancid garlic powder. Mine is New Mexico Chile powder, Cumin, Coriander and Mexican Oregano.

    I don't have anything against Glutamates, but MSG added to foods upsets my stomach. Plenty of foods have natural Glutamates and they don't seem to upset my stomach. I was looking for some Achiote recently and found a Mexican spice blend that looked like it might work. Unfortunately, the first ingredient on the list was MSG, so I won't be using it.

    I thought that the predominant flavor in Jerk Seasoning was Allspice. Habaneros are very hot and I use gloves, safety glasses and a respirator when I clean them, but I can't discern a flavor from them. Perhaps because they numb my tongue so quickly.

    Of all the spice blends that I have, the one that gets used most often is the Black, Red, White and Green Peppercorn blend. I only grind about a weeks worth at a time, so that the flavor stays fresh.

    ReplyDelete