Friday, January 20, 2012

The Duped Project 3/50: Hummus



Ah, Greece. Home of the Acropolis, Birthplace of philosophy, and creator of my all time favorite foods. I fell in love with Greek food during my 4 years in Germany. Strange, I know, but Germany is significantly closer to Greece than anywhere else I had the opportunity to fall in love, and the Greek food there is often cooked by immigrant Greek families. It's fantastic. I am drooling just remembering it.

But those were different times. Living in a foreign country, two incomes, no kids. We ate out all the time. Now, even if we could afford to eat out all the time, our young children make it less than a picnic (am I confusing my food metaphors?). But there is one thing I cannot give up. Hummus. Or is it Hommus? I never know.

Here in Texas, I'm continually shocked at how cheap some groceries are. Hummus is one of them. Back home in the footlands of North Carolina, a decent grocer will charge you as much as $5 for a 10 oz tub of hummus, but here in San Antone, the great and illustrious HEB carries several varieties for around $3 for 12 oz. That sounds like a real steal until you realize what hummus is. Chick peas (or garbanzo beans for you city folk), spices, olive oil. Pow. I have a food processor (well technically, I have an attachment for my blender) so I thought I'd give it a go. Turns out that it IS as easy as it sounds like it would be. See how, after the jump.

Here's the recipe I followed, but I left out the tahini. I honestly have no idea what that is. Where would one find tahini? Sounds tropical.

1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

That was tough. Not. (Yeah, I'm bring back the "not joke" - so what?)



Gathering the troops. One day I will get out my camera to take pictures instead of using the crappy one on my phone. Sorry.



Reserving 1/4 cup of liquid. After doing this a couple times, I would recommend less. Maybe 1/8?



Pre-blended. 


Happy in it's new home. 


Even happier on my turkey sandwich. 

Homemade Hummus:
1 can chick peas = $.72
3 tbsp olive oil = $.61
2 cloves of garlic = $.28
3 tbsp lemon juice = $.30
TOTAL = $1.91 for about 15 oz
                  (about $.13/oz)

Store Bought Hummus:
12 oz, prepared = $2.98
                   (about $.25/oz)

Total savings: 48% cheaper


This turned out to be a relatively simple one. There's no real reason to make this yourself, unless you just want to save a few cents. In my case, I will save much more than a few because I pretty much could go through one of those 10 oz pre-made containers in a sitting. Kind of ruins the whole good for you thing, but who cares? Obviously, not me.

Things I learned: 
  • Hummus is as simple as it sounds
  • Tahini is a mystery substance
  • Apparently it's a hick thing to call it a "chick pea"


 Update:

A friend sent in a picture of her own hummus from this recipe, and I thought I would share! She said "I love the hummus recipe! Quick and so delicious! Thanks for duping this one!" 

Want to share your version of a dupe? Did you make your own soap? Maybe you started cloth diapering, or maybe you have some creamed soup mix in your cupboard! Email photos or whatever to farbeyonddesigns@gmail.com and I'll post 'em!

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to try this one day! I remember evenings/nights after Beauty and the Beast at the dining room table with hummus and chips...yum. My dinner tonight? I think so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a recipe for Red Lentil Hummus that I want to try soon. It's not much different than yours, but Red Lentils instead of Garbanzo beans. Tahini is Sesami Seed paste and appears to be the Middle Eastern equivalent of Peanut Butter.

    ReplyDelete