Thursday, February 2, 2012

Finished Custom Project: Lotus Ring Design

Several months ago, one of my favorite people and best customers asked me to come up with a creative way to display some small rings she received as a gift from Spain. She had some great ideas, and we put our heads together and came up with something we both love. After a tumultuous holiday season (is there any other kind?), I finally got to finish up the project and send it off to it's new home.

This lotus flower design features the spanish words for 7 well-wishes in a radial design: Amor (love), Suerte (luck), Vida (life), Amistad (friendship), Salud (health), Dinero (money,) and Felicidad (happiness). Inspired by the art-nouveau movement, I first designed a color-block style, 7-part floral radial design, then I used some of my own photography to add some interesting texture to the design. Once the design was finished up and the proof approved by the customer, the final art was printed on Linen-Cotton Canvas from Spoonflower, then stretched inside a quilter's loop for a unique, wall-ready display. The final size was 14" in diameter. After I sent the art to my friend, she hand-sewed each ring into the right spot and hung it on her wall.

I did all the design and production here in Texas, and my friend finished the project in Germany! Proof positive that the world is shrinking thanks to the web. Here's some pictures of different parts of the project as it progressed:

The Lotus Flower design, sans-couleur 

Here's one of the unedited photographs I used to add texture to the design

The original design as it appeared on the screen

Printed and stretched into it's frame, ready for shipment to Germany

Finished art, complete with rings sewn in place.

If you have a very special custom art job you'd like me to work on, let me know! Depending on supplies and shipping, we might be able to get exactly what you want for less than you expect. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment