Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Process for Less Expensive Canvases

I love art. I hate that it's so expensive. One of the biggest reasons I started making art digitally and finding ways to print it on the cheap was so that I could offer my art for a reasonable price. I don't think that the average person should be forced to shop at Kirkland's to have art on their walls - not that their art is terrible. But it is massed produced, making it highly impersonal. I think you can know the name, and maybe even the face, of the artist who's work adorns your living room walls.

Because of my mission to sell high-quality art at a real-life price, I am always looking for ways to keep my costs down and pass those savings forward to my customer. Recently, I revamped my printing process so that I reduced the prices of my prints up to 40%, and took all my shipping costs down by nearly half. But I'm not done yet.

Thanks to an amazing start-up company called Spoonflower, I have a better way to print my canvases. They offer top-notch printing on textiles, and one of the standard fabrics they print on is Linen-Cotton canvas. It's beautiful - I kid you not. The texture on this stuff is phenomenal, and there's no detail lost in the printing either.

So if I print on this canvas directly, instead of onto a traditionally pre-treated canvas, and then stretch and finish the edges of the piece, I can cut my cost. Then I can cut your cost. And maybe someone who wouldn't normally choose a canvas for their home can spring for the big painting instead of the small print. Thanks to this new process, my canvases are $45. That's down $20 each. And I'm excited about that.

Here's the first one off the presses: St. Patrick's Breastplate Prayer. It's for sale here, or you can do what I do and just look at that pretty texture in the close up. Oooh, pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment